ValJJ1A.jpeg

Northwood

This Branch is now permanently CLOSED


WE WERE OPEN TO ALL -  THE YOUNG AND THE NOT SO YOUNG


The NORTHWOOD BRANCH of Jewish Association of Cultural Societies (JACS) meets most Wednesdays at the Northwood & Pinner Liberal Synagogue (NPLS) , Oaklands Gate, Northwood, Middlesex HA6 3AA  (5 minutes from Northwood Station on Metropolitan Line) from 1.30pm. to 3.30pm.

We have an excellent varied programme of mostly speakers with the occasional entertainers.

After the talk or presentation tea and biscuits are served.

Membership: £4.00* annual subscription

Entrance:      £2.00*

Visitors         £3.00*

* Prices subject to change

Chairman: Mr. Joe Melnick

 

Social Events

PROGRAMME FOR:   January 2019 - April 2019


Wednesday 16th January 2019 - A County at War - Life on the Home Front in Hertfordshire - The Armistice Edition - Robert Voss CBE  - The film was commissioned by the Lieutenancy of Hertfordshire at NPLS and Robert will talk about the film and The Lieutenancy, being the only Jewish Lord-Lieutenant in English history (apart from Lord Rothschild in 1885).

Wednesday 23rd January 2019 - CST for Me and My Community - Cassie Daniels - The talk covers all the different elements of CST's interesting and vital work keeping the community safe: From their various security projects - To the political side of their work monitoring and reporting on antisemitism in the UK.

Wednesday 30th January 2019 - CLOSED - The Synagogue hall is not available for JACS on this date but we are back on the 6th February.

Wednesday 6th February 2019 - Behind the Cameras at the Movies - Judy Karbritz  - Why Ron Moody chose his Yiddish accent for Fagin and what you never knew about the Wizard of Oz, The Sound of Music, Singing in the Rain and many other favourites.

Wednesday 13th February 2019 - The Jews of Uganda - Ros Eisen - An informative talk by Ros, who will explain how these people became recognised as Jewish, their history and their current situation.

Wednesday 20th February 2019 - There is a lot more to Magen David Adom than just Ambulances - Robin Jacobs - Come along and listen to what will be a very interesting and informative presentation of the work that is carried out by Magen David Adom.

Wednesday 27th February 2019 - 'Miss Gatsby' and other Vintage Eras - Lynda Styan, Vintage Professional Singer - Lynda trained at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama so you are guaranteed to be in for a treat.

Wednesday 6th March 2019 - AGM  - Come along and support the new committee and hear what is happening.

Wednesday 13th March 2019 - Jewish East End 18c to early 20c - Howard Slater - Takes a Tour of the Jewish East End, Including famous landmarks and not so famous - famous people and not so famous. If time, followed by a singsong.

Wednesday 20th March 2019 - The Folklore and Traditions of Hertfordshire - Mark Lewis - An examination of the superstitious beliefs, customs, stories of witchcraft and paranormal phenomena of the area, including the traditions associated with the famous ‘Puddingstone’ that is found in the region.

Wednesday 27th March 2019 - The History of the Jews of Italy - Susan Kikoler - This talk will focus on the history of some of the more significant Jewish communities to illustrate their diversity of origin and of destiny. Just as pre-1861 Italy was patchwork of Duchies, Republics and Papal States, each with its own distinct history and traditions, so the history of each Jewish community mirrors these differences and has a unique story to tell.

Wednesday 3rd April 2019 - The History and Role of Toastmasters - John Ashmele - Do you need any training to become a Toastmaster? Can you officiate at any type of function? What is the history behind Toastmasters? Are there any ‘tips of the trade’? Come along and get the answers to this and much more.

Wednesday 10th April 2019 - The Jews and the Musicals - Lynne Bradley - Between the 1920’s and the 50’s, 90% of all the American musicals were written, produced and choreographed by Jews. And almost all of the other 10% had some Jewish input. Let’s face it, we WERE the musicals.

Think of all the famous shows of that era and what names come to mind? Lerner and Lowe, Oscar Hammerstein, the Gershwin Brothers, Irvin Berlin, Leonard Bernstein, Stephen Sondheim, Rodgers and Hart, Lionel Bart, Kander and Ebb, Jerome Kern; the list is endless.

The themes of most of their musicals told the stories of Jewish lives, cleverly using other ethnic minorities in their place.’ Shows like ‘Show Boat,’ ‘South Pacific,’ and ‘West Side Story’ highlight the recurring themes of prejudice, forbidden love,  marrying out and going against age old traditions.



WE APOLOGISE FOR ANY CHANGES IN THE PROGRAMME DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES BEYOND OUR CONTROL.